We understand the decision to transition to long-term care is one of the most important decisions you will ever make. We want to ensure your decision is a positive one. Below are some of our home’s points of difference:
The calendar is always full. You can be as active as you like.
For some people, the key to living better is filling every day with meaningful activities that bring people together, build bonds and create shared experiences.
Whether it’s tapping the power of music to engage a resident with dementia, attending worship services, participating in exercise classes, or reminiscing with a friendly volunteer, there’s always something going on at Extendicare Tri-Town. Check “News & Events”
Here, residents lead active and engaged lives.
This is home. Your home.
We want you to feel at home. We’ll support you in becoming an active and engaged member of your new community and enjoy life to the best of your ability.
We have a welcoming and inclusive environment.
Not only do we work very hard to integrate residents into our community and feel at home, we’re also committed to making families feel at home here too. The following are some of the measures we take to help our residents settle in and also help family members feel comfortable and get involved:
- Meet Your Care Team: On the first day, residents and family members are introduced to front office staff as well as nursing staff and the primary care team for their loved one.
- Resident Care Plan: From the outset, family members and residents are involved in the development of their Care Plan and are always consulted and involved in any changes to care.
- Family Involvement: Family members are encouraged to join their loved one for meals and any social or recreational activities.
- Family Support: We are always available and whenever a family member or resident needs to talk, we’re here to listen and provide support.
- Family Council: Family members are also encouraged to get involved with the Family Council and attend information sessions where they will learn more about our home and long-term care and meet other family members.
We connect you to the community.
Maintaining strong connections to others is essential to keeping people active and involved.
Getting you out into the community and bringing the community into our home is important to your quality of life. Here are some of the ways in which the residents and staff get involved with the community, and how the community connects with us:
- Resident Outings: Twice a month we organize outings for our residents that can range from shopping excursions, movies, theatre, the local pool to trips to the bird banding facility that are coordinated with the local school.
- Spring Fling: Every year, our residents make the trip to the fall fair and attend the Spring Fling at the local Community Centre where they have a booth selling baked good and crafts.
- Christmas Concerts: We work with the local high school and grade school to bring their annual Christmas concerts to our home.
- Community Service Opportunities: We co-ordinate with local high schools to provide opportunities for students to serve their 40 hours of volunteer service.
- Student Placement Opportunities: We offer student placements or co-op openings for students in the RN, RPN and PSW programs at Northern College.
- Grandfriends Program: Our intergeneration Grandfriends program includes local preschool children visiting our home once a month to spend time reading, doing crafts, singing and playing games with residents. The program is very successful and equally popular with the residents and the children.
- Summer BBQ: In summer, our annual barbecue is a huge hit for residents, family members, members of the community and the children from our Grandfriends program.
- Christmas Bazaar: Our annual Christmas Bazaar is very popular in the community and features crafts and baked goods made by residents; gifts donated by community businesses, staff and family members; a door prize; a 50/50 draw and more. All proceeds go to the Resident Council to fund future events and activities.